Who DOESN’T love pasta? I know I sure do but summer IS coming and that means short shorts and bikinis soooooooo… How does one have pasta without the empty calories of pasta? The answer my friends lies in the almighty zucchini…
It actually lies in many other veggies but for this particular dish its zucchini all the way. Zucchinis are high in vitamin C, antioxidants, high in water and low in calories. WIN WIN indeed!!
What you will need for this recipe:
- food process
- or spiralizer
- 1 cup sprouts
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup arugula
- 1/2 cup basil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Mixture for Zoodles
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms ~sliced
- 1 cup asparagus ~trimmed and cut into 1″ bits
- 1 handful cherry tomatos
- 2 cloves garlic ~minced
- 1 cup sugar snap peas ~trimmed
- drizzle of olive oil for pan
- 1 yellow zucchini
- 2 green zucchini
- For the pesto, put all ingredients into food processor and process on high gradually adding in olive oil till mixture runs smooth. Taste for seasoning and adjust to your taste!
- Put the zoodle mixture in a pan. Add olive oil and olive and garlic. Saute until fragrant ( takes NO TIME), add shiitakes and let sit for 1 minute. Add asparagus and sugar snaps and toss everything together until veggies start to wilt. Add a splash more olive oil if necessary and season to taste. I added the tomatoes at the very end to just soften. Set aside.
- With your spiralizer firmly attached to counter top start spiralling.Watch that your noodles don’t become too long. Break them off so they are about as long as spaghetti noodles. Once done add in your pesto to coat noodles and add in the veggie mixture. You can add a sprinkling of nooch (nutritional yeast) on top for a cheesy flavour or whip up a batch of vegan parmesan.