My love for cilantro may be on the verge of unhealthy. Am I prone to buying this herb on absolutely every grocery run for fear of running out? Of course. Do I think cilantro would make a lovely addition to flower arrangements, corsages and wedding bouquets? Naturally. Do I string flower crowns out of this herbaceous leafy green? Not yet, but now that you mention it…
I understand that cilantro is one of those “extreme” foods. People either hate it or love it. As I am the latter, obviously I had to incorporate cilantro into my smoothies.
This smoothie is particularly great in the morning because of its bright flavour. The cilantro and ginger give it an almost spicy quality — and if you like this zippy, zingy taste as much as I do, feel free to up the amounts of both of these ingredients. I also use orange juice as the liquid base to add some sweetness, and because I find nut milks dull the flavour.
Like most smoothies, this recipe is fast and easy to make. If the whizzing sound of the blender doesn’t wake you up in the morning, be reassured that this bright green smoothie will.
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Chunk of ginger, 1 inch
- Half small avocado (optional)
- Blend all the ingredients together in a blender. Let the blender run for a couple of minutes to really breakdown the leafy greens.
- If you find the addition of the avocado makes it too thick, add a bit more orange juice.
- Pour and enjoy immediately!