We love granola in the morning as much as the next early bird, but granola isn’t just for breakfast. The healthy whole grains that make up granola are versatile ingredients. So although they’re often sweetened, granola is equally as delicious when prepared savoury.
This recipe can be easily adapted to your liking. Have fun experimenting with some of your favourite seeds and nuts — although we’d always encourage the use of caraway seeds. Caraway is highly aromatic and adds an earthy anise flavour that makes this recipe shine.
Use this savoury granola to top salads and yogurt, sprinkle it on roasted vegetables or protein dishes, or use it as a garnish for a creamy soup to add a bit of a crunch.
- 1⁄2 cup oil (avocado oil or melted coconut oil)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 1⁄2 tsp fine sea salt
- 5-6 grinds black pepper
- 2 cups rolled oats (use certified gluten-free oats if necessary)
- 1⁄2 cup raw buckwheat groats
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, chopped (or any other combination of nuts and seeds of your choice)
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Add the oats, buckwheat, nuts and caraway seeds and stir until the mixture is evenly coated.
- Spread mixture in a thin layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes, until golden, stirring after 10 minutes.
Sophie Bourdon is a health and wellness entrepreneur based in Montreal, Canada. She is the holistic nutritionist and founder behind The Green Life, an online journal, shop and natural skincare and self-care line. Sophie believes in a holistic approach to wellness that uses the power of plants to promote nourishment and vibrancy on every level - skin, body and soul.