Rhubarb is one of our favorite ingredients. Because its season is shorter than others, we like to enjoy it every way possible while we can get it fresh — and that includes in liquid form. So what better way to start a summer meal than with a seasonal rhubarb-based beverage? This recipe, which we developed with Sophie Bourdon from The Green Life, is our go-to for a seasonal cocktail (or mocktail) hour!
- 2 large rhubarb stalks (350 g) thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup packed lemongrass stalks, chopped (reserve tips for garnish, optional)
- 1/2 cup raw/unpasteurized honey*
- 3 cups kombucha, unflavoured and chilled 1.5 – 2 limes
- Optional: add 1 oz of sake, gin, or vodka to each glass
*to make this cocktail vegan, substitute the honey with maple syrup
- In a small saucepan, bring rhubarb and water to a gentle simmer over medium heat and cook for 10 minutes. Drain liquid (save this and mix it into your favourite juice or smoothie!) and cool cooked rhubarb in the freezer, about 5 minutes.
- Combine rhubarb, lemongrass and honey in a blender jar and puree until smooth. You should have about 1 1⁄4 cups puree. Place a fine mesh sieve over a small bowl and strain puree through the sieve, pressing with a spoon to extract as much rhubarb-lemongrass pulp as possible. Reserve pulp and discard fibrous solids.
- Fill six 8 ounce glasses halfway with ice. Add 2 tbsp pulp, 1⁄2 cup kombucha, optional alcohol if using, and a good squeeze of lime juice to each glass. Stir well, garnish with the lemongrass if using and serve immediately.