With pumpkin spice season upon us, we’ve asked our editor and resident spice blender Ruth Elnekave to share her secret pumpkin spice blend. If you’re going to jump on the PSL bandwagon, then we want to help you step it up a notch. Make your Starbucks-toting friends jealous with a homemade PS blend that can be added to more than just a latte. That’s right, this recipe is a 7-for-one special. Now that’s the real way to PS your fall.
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Combine spices in a small bowl and whisk together to blend. Use immediately or store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 1 year.
How to Use That Pumpkin Spice
- PSL — Steam milk of choice and blend together with freshly brewed coffee or espresso, sweetener (we love dates, honey or maple syrup), a teaspoon of pumpkin puree (optional) and pumpkin spice (to taste).
- Spiced ghee — Warm ghee to melt (or just to an easily stirrable consistency), whisk in pumpkin spice (about 2 teaspoons for every 1 cup of ghee) and spread a little autumn on your toast. (Or blend into your bulletproof coffee! Or melt onto your hot pancakes!!)
- Pumpkin spice smoothie — Blend together ½ banana, 2 tablespoons cooked pumpkin or pumpkin puree, 1 tablespoon tahini or nut butter, 1-2 pitted dates, a splash of coconut or nut milk, ¼ teaspoon pumpkin spice and some ice.
- Oatmeal, pancakes, waffles and baked goods — Add pumpkin spice (¼ – 1 teaspoon per batch) to the batter for any of your breakfast treats or baked goods.
- Granola — Add ¼ teaspoon pumpkin spice (or more, to taste) to your granola mixture before baking.
- Energy balls and bars — add pumpkin spice (to taste) to food processor along with other ingredients before blending.
- Spiced roasted nuts — Toss 1 cup of nuts with 1 tablespoon melted ghee or coconut oil, ½ tablespoon maple syrup (or 1 tablespoon coconut sugar), a pinch of sea salt and pumpkin spice (to taste – starting with ½ teaspoon) and toast at 325F/165C for about 15 minutes, until fragrant.