- Preheat oven to 350F. Brush a 9x9” square pan with oil and line with parchment both ways leaving an overhang on all sides.
- Spread pecans on a baking sheet and toast until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool, then chop roughly and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt ghee and coconut oil over low heat. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, sift the “dry” ingredients together. Set aside.
- Add the coconut sugar to the ghee/oil mixture and whisk to combine. Add maple syrup, eggs and vanilla and whisk well to combine. Add the “dry” ingredients and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon for 20 seconds to combine. Fold in mix-ins and transfer batter to the prepared pan. Smooth top with an offset spatula.
- Bake for 22-25 mins, until top is shiny, cracked and golden brown. *Do not over-bake.
- Let blondies cool completely in the pan. Remove using parchment overhang. Cut blondies into squares and enjoy!
Are you team brownie? Convinced that a blondie would never be your first choice of snack in bar form? Life as you know it is about to be turned on its head. These golden, crispy on the outside, tender on the inside blondies featuring toasted pecans, dried cherries and pure dark chocolate are the perfect combination of sweet and tart, tender and crunch, and buttery melt-in-your-mouth goodness (without the butter).
Sub the ghee for coconut oil to make this recipe dairy-free, or switch up the mix-ins for your choice of nuts, dried fruit and chocolate — they’re all welcome to the party (almonds, dried apricots and coconut milk chocolate is another favorite combo in the JOYÀ kitchen).
Like any perfect blondie (or brownie), the key to perfection is to slightly under-bake the blondies — you want them a touch gooey in the middle. Not sure how to tell when they’ve hit the mark? A toothpick or knife poked into the center should come out clean but shiny.
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp (75 g) brown rice flour
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp (63 g) sorghum flour
- ¼ cup (30 g) arrowroot flour
- ¼ cup (30 g) tapioca flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tbsp (25 g) ghee*
- ½ cup (100 g) virgin coconut oil
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp (92 g) coconut sugar
- ¼ cup (80 g) pure maple syrup
- 2 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup raw pecans
- 2 bars (60 g) JOYÀ 70% dark chocolate, chopped
- ⅓ cup (53 g) organic (unsulfured) dried tart cherries
*Replace ghee with an equal amount of coconut oil to make the recipe dairy-free.