Morning Glory Breakfast Loaf
Yield: one loaf
Grain-free, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined Sugar-free, Paleo
Adding a little joy to your breakfast can fuel you for the rest of the day. This was our exact mindset when we developed the recipe for this Morning Glory Breakfast Loaf. Made super moist and with a touch of sweetness, this loaf is a top-notch way to start your day. You can even make it in advance so that you can grab a quick slice on the go. No matter your morning, this breakfast loaf is a reminder to slow down and savour something truly delicious.
This recipe is made with the healthiest ingredients to curb your appetite. It all starts with a grain- and gluten-free flour blend mixed with bananas, tahini and carrots. Finish it off with healthy add-ins like coconut, walnuts and your choice of dried fruit, and mix in some optional Glow turmeric elixir. The variety of wholesome ingredients will keep you full for longer. Just get ready to be hungry for this loaf in the mornings because it’s a damn good one!
- 120 g almond flour
- 25 g coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon*
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg*
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 3 large eggs (ideally organic and pastured or free-range)
- 3 medium very ripe bananas (about 350 g), mashed
- 2 ½ tablespoons (50 g) unpasteurized honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) tahini (or other runny nut or seed butter of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon (12 g) virgin coconut oil, melted (or replace with an extra 1 tablespoon (15 g) tahini)
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 large carrot (about 115 g / 4 oz), peeled if not organic and grated/shredded (about ¾ cup)
- ⅓ cup unsweetened shredded dried coconut (or coconut flakes)
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- Optional: ⅓ cup golden raisins or chopped dried figs or pitted dates
- Optional: 2 tablespoons JOYÀ Glow turmeric elixir blend
*Omit if using JOYÀ Glow turmeric elixir.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C. Brush a 9×5 inch or 8×5 inch loaf pan with oil and line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, add the almond flour, coconut flour, spices, salt and baking soda and whisk well to combine. Set aside.
- Add the eggs to a large bowl and with an electric hand beater or stand mixer, beat until well blended, 20 seconds. Add the bananas, honey (or maple syrup), tahini, coconut oil and vanilla and continue to beat on medium-high until completely smooth and emulsified, another 30 seconds. Add shredded carrot and blend on low until combined.
- Add the dry mixture into the bowl with the wet mixture and beat on low just until the flour is incorporated and no dry spots remain.
- Add the coconut, walnuts and dried fruit (if using) and using a spatula, stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth out the top.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out dry, about 60 minutes. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then cool completely out of pan on a cooling rack.
Pro Tip: If making in advance, wrap and store at room temperature for up to 2 days or refrigerate for up to a week. Also great to freeze for a snack on demand — just slice before freezing and toast when you’re craving a treat!