Treat yourself to the creamiest of desserts — without the cream! This vegan mousse is smooth and luxurious, but still light enough to feel like you’re floating on Cloud 9. The cayenne also adds the right amount of kick to balance out the richness.
While traditional mousse is quite laborious to make, this recipe couldn’t be breezier. The avocado does almost all the work to make this chocolate dessert light and whipped, while coconut milk adds a desired velvet-like smoothness. The hardest part is having to wait patiently for the mousse to set!
- 200 g avocado flesh (from about 2 small ripe avocados, pitted and peeled)
- ½ cup raw cacao powder (or sub half with Joya's Cacao Functional Blend)
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper or more, to taste
- Pinch fine sea salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup coconut milk (or other plant-based milk)
- Optional toppings: Toasted hazelnuts or almonds, pomegranate seeds, raspberries, toasted coconut, raw cacao nibs
(All photos by Sophie Bourdon)
- Add the avocado flesh, cacao powder, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and sea salt to a food processor or blender and blend. With the food processor/blender running, slowly pour in the coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract and continue to blend until smooth, scraping the edges of the food processor/blender as needed with a spatula.
- Fill a large bowl with ice cubes and place a smaller bowl over the ice. Transfer the mousse mixture into the small bowl. Using a hand mixer on low speed, mix in the coconut milk. Once the milk is incorporated, continue mixing on medium-high speed for about 3-4 minutes.
- Pipe or scoop mousse into 4 small jars. Place in refrigerator until set (at least 2 hours).
- Garnish with toppings of your choice and enjoy!
Sophie Bourdon is a health and wellness entrepreneur based in Montreal, Canada. She is the holistic nutritionist and founder behind The Green Life, an online journal, shop and natural skincare and self-care line. Sophie believes in a holistic approach to wellness that uses the power of plants to promote nourishment and vibrancy on every level - skin, body and soul.