We're big fans of pancakes over here, especially ones that take no time at all to whirl up in a blender. And we also believe that pancake toppings don't have to be the only way you add extra flavor and nutrients to your morning stack. Adding ingredients like our Focus Matcha Elixir right into the batter adds adaptogenic, brain-loving, energizing and stress-supporting goodness you wouldn't normally get in your average flapjack. Not only is the nutrient level stacked high in these matcha pancakes, but the color is pretty phenomenal too!
- 1 egg*
- ½ large banana
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- optional: ⅛ - ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup rolled or quick-cook oats (or buckwheat or quinoa flakes for grain-free option)
- 1 tbsp JOYÀ Focus Matcha-Moringa Elixir Blend
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup milk of choice (or more, depending on your desired pancake consistency - a thicker batter will yield thicker, taller pancakes)
- coconut oil or other oil of your choice, for brushing the griddle/pan
- topping ideas: maple syrup, honey, date syrup, nut butter, tahini, fruit, hemp seeds, bee pollen, coconut flakes or shredded coconut
*For vegan option, make a flax “egg": in a small bowl, add 1 tbsp ground flax seeds with 2.5 tbsp water and whisk to combine. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes until it turns into a gel-like consistency.
- If making pancakes one at a time in a pan: preheat the oven to 200F/95C and place inside a large baking sheet with an oven-safe cooling rack placed on top. This will be used to keep the cooked pancakes warm while you make the rest.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until completely smooth and no visible oat flakes remain. Let the batter sit for 5 minutes. Adjust consistency if needed by adding more liquid and blending again.
- Meanwhile, preheat a griddle or non-stick pan to medium-high.
- Once hot, brush the griddle/pan with a small amount of oil, and add ¼ cup of batter per pancake. Let pancakes cook for about 2 minutes, until the bottoms are golden brown, the edges are set and the tops begin to bubble. Flip pancakes and cook for another 2 minutes on the other side. Transfer pancakes to a rack (or keep warm in the oven) and repeat with remaining batter.
- Top with toppings of your choice and enjoy!