How about a little history lesson with your dessert? Did you know that rice pudding was a dessert of the Royals? Today it may seem like a humble dish, but it was once considered a delicacy that only the rich and elite could afford. And while the true roots of rice pudding are hard to pinpoint, we know that it can be traced across multiple cultures and cuisines globally. And this creamy and luscious dessert (or snack!) has the potential to be something truly great and nutritious, the canvas for any flavor combination you desire.
Though it may not always get the same love as its brown or wild counterpart, white rice is an easy to digest, gluten free, prebiotic-rich grain, and prebiotics are crucial in our diet, as they are what feed the important bacteria in our gut.
Expanding up to 6 times it’s original size, a small amount of rice goes a long way when it comes to being a nutritious base for all the ingredients and flavors added to your rice pudding mix. It’s no surprise we love to add any of JOYÀ’s nutrient-rich, adaptogenic Elixirs into healthy breakfast and dessert ideas, and this recipe is no exception.
- ⅓ cup rice (we prefer Jasmine or Basmati), rinsed well and drained
- ½ cup water
- ⅛ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 ½ cups full-fat canned coconut milk (plus another 2 tbsp - ¼ cup, as needed)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, or more to taste
- ½ tbsp chia seeds
- 1 serving (as per label dosage) of JOYÀ elixir blend of choice (matcha-moringa or turmeric)
- Optional toppings: chopped nuts, cacao nibs, drizzle of honey or maple syrup
- Combine water, rice, and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Turn heat down to low, cover and simmer until water is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cups coconut milk, vanilla, cinnamon and coconut sugar. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender and the pudding has thickened to a creamy, soft texture, about 20-25 minutes. Once thickened, remove from the heat.
- Off the heat, add chia seeds and about 2 tbsp coconut milk to the pudding and stir well to combine.
- Add JOYÀ elixir blend of choice and whisk well to combine. Taste, and add more coconut sugar if desired.
- Let cool slightly, also allowing the chia seeds to absorb the liquid. If the pudding is too thick, add a little more coconut milk until desired consistency is achieved. Serve warm, with optional toppings if desired.
DO AHEAD: Pudding can be made 2 days ahead. Store chilled in a sealed dish and bring to room temperature or warm slightly before serving.