Move over Ferrero Rocher and say hello to the ultimate hazelnut and chocolate guilt-free indulgence! For a deconstructed version of the classic candy (that's also healthier and tastier, too!) serve this heavenly ice cream topped with toasted chopped hazelnuts, brown rice crispy cereal and a drizzle of melted chocolate. You’re welcome.
- 720mL (3 cups) full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ cup hazelnut-cacao nut butter*
- 30g Joya's 61.5% coconut milk chocolate, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- optional: 1/4 teaspoon pure hazelnut extract
- 1 tablespoon clear alcohol, such as vodka, gin or tequila**
- optional: ¼ cup raw cacao nibs
*Make sure it's refined sugar free for paleo-friendly option
** Omit for paleo-friendly option
- Combine 60ml (¼ cup) of the coconut milk with the arrowroot powder in a small bowl and set aside.
- Pour the rest of the coconut milk into a medium sized saucepan with the maple syrup, nut butter and chocolate and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Remove from heat. Pour mixture into a blender and blend until nut butter and chocolate are fully dissolved and incorporated, 10-20 seconds.
- Pour mixture back into the saucepan and bring to a light boil over medium heat, stirring every 30 seconds with a heat-proof spatula. Give the arrowroot mixture a quick whisk and immediately stir into the coconut milk mixture to thicken the liquid and continue stirring, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in both of the extracts and alcohol.
- Chill in the fridge until cold, at least 2 hours, and then churn in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If using cacao nibs, add during the final seconds of churning.
- For creamy soft-serve, enjoy straight from the ice cream maker. For a firmer consistency, transfer the mixture to a freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 3 hours or overnight.