- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and brush a donut pan with some oil to prevent mixture from sticking.
- In a small bowl, mix together the spelt flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together the egg, milk, coconut oil, and vanilla extract.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and gently mix. Do not over mix!
- Divide mixture evenly among the donut pan cavities. Keep in mind that the mixture will rise a little bit.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer donuts to a rack and cool completely.
- Drizzle tahini or choice of nut butter on top.
You don’t need a takeout box to have decadent donuts. This easy recipe creates half a dozen soft and cakey donuts all without a deep fryer — making these donuts holesome in more ways than one!
If you’re feeling fancy, drizzle some tahini on top for a healthy alternative to icing. Its nutty flavour perfectly compliments this sweet cinnamon treat. Not sure tahini’s for you? Use another natural nut or seed butter to ice the top, or make a chocolate glaze with Joya’s single-origin bean to bar chocolate.
- 3/4 cups spelt flour
- 1/4 cup unrefined cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or any milk)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: Tahini (or any nut butter!) for the icing